All day workshop features complimentary lunch. Workshop leader: Dr. Patti G. Trahern, Ph.D., P.E.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
City of Los Angeles
Industrial Waste Management Division
2714 Media Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90065
(turn left at the guard shack and go to the far building at the end)
Based in Arizona, Dr. Trahern works with municipalities, wastewater authorities, and other consulting firms providing technical expertise and direction on pretreatment programs, wastewater process design and analysis and regulatory issues. While working at Malcolm Pirnie Dr. Trahern managed numerous local limits projects for municipalities and authorities in USEPA Region 9.
Dr. Trahern concurrently developed local limits guidance materials for USEPA Region 9. Recent projects include development of pretreatment programs for the City of Prescott, AZ and the City of Surprise, AZ and local limit updates for the City of Mesa, AZ and the City of Hopewell, VA. Dr. Trahern earned her Master’s and doctorate at Virginia Tech University.
- Introduction to Local Limits
- Establishing Needs and Understanding the Process
- Identifying Pollutants of Concern
- Conducting A Preliminary Analysis
- Safety Factors
- Characterizing Flows & Loads
- Evaluating Allocation Methods
- Calculating Allowable Headworks Loadings
- Developing Control Strategies for Toxic and
- Conventional Pollutants
- Updating Pretreatment Ordinances
Attendees are requested to print and bring a copy of the EPA guidance manual to the workshop. The manual can be downloaded free as a pdf file from: www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/final_local_limits_guidance.pdf